Fire Incident: 3 injured as fire razes Niger Biscuit Company

Three persons were burnt yesterday when fire razed Niger Biscuits Company on Creek Road in Apapa, Lagos, destroying property worth millions of naira. Two Sports Utility Vehicles (SUV) within the premises were destroyed.

It was learnt that the fire was sparked by gas explosion in the factory few minutes after 2pm.

A factory worker, who gave his name as Chukwudi, said the injured were rushed to hospital by Lagos State Ambulance Service (LASAMBUS) officials.

One of the victims was a security officer deployed in the company few weeks ago. He was said to trying to put out the fire. In fact, only God can save him,” said an eyewitness.

The eyewitness said the explosion occurred after the maintenance department completed its Sunday-maintenance-Service, in preparation for full scale production today.

He said:”Immediately after the gas exploded, the security officials and my other colleagues raced to get the fire extinguishers, in order to put out the fire before it escalated. But their effort proved abortive; as they exhausted all the extinguishers without quenching the fire.”

The workers raised the alarm when they could not put out the fire.

Sources said the affected section was stocked with paper materials and other inflammable materials, which made it difficult to fight the fire.

The fire was still raging at press time last night. Officials of Lagos State Emergency Management Agency (LASEMA), Lagos State Fire Service, NNS Beecroft, Nigerian Ports Authority, NPA Tin Can Island Port, UBA Fire Service, Julius Berger PLC Fire Service were sighted at the scene battling to put out the fire.

Their tankers were seen racing to the Folawiyo Oil Depot to get more water.

Residents said that the section most affected by the fire caved in few hours later.

A resident, Peter Edwin, said: “The section of the company that collapsed on the second floor is the administrative department. And you know that there would be several inflammable materials in there.”

Director, Lagos State Fire Service Mr. Rasak Fadipe said: “We are still battling with the fire. It is a serious fire outbreak which involved Niger Biscuit Company Limited.”