According to BBC report, Eighty-seven people were killed in violence that broke out after three military sites were attacked in Burundi on Friday, the army says.
Eight of those who died were security officers and 49 people were captured, Col Gaspard Baratuza said.
Residents in the capital earlier said the bodies of some 34 men were found on the streets – and accused police of taking revenge. It is not clear if that number is included in the army’s total.
Unrest has hit Burundi since April.
There have been continued protests since President Pierre Nkurunziza announced his decision to seek a third term in office, which he won in a disputed election in July.
Friday saw some of the worst violence since the unrest began. Officials described heavily armed attackers launching co-ordinated early morning assaults on army installations in three areas – Ngagara, Musaga and Mujejuru.
Fighting could then be heard throughout the day and sporadic gunfire continued overnight.
Residents said dozens of men were rounded up as their homes were raided, and many of their bodies were found on the streets of the capital on Saturday morning.
The largest number of bodies were found in Nyakabiga district, a focus of anti-government protests. Others were discovered in the southern neighbourhood of Musaga.
One witness told the AFP news agency that some of the victims were “kids” and had been shot execution-style “through the top of the skull”.
BBC Africa analyst Richard Hamilton says bodies on the streets are almost a daily occurrence in Bujumbura but this was by far the largest number of deaths in one night.
Col Gaspard Baratuza, giving details of the final toll, said that “79 enemies” were killed, “45 captured and 97 weapons seized and on our side eight soldiers and policemen were killed and 21 wounded”.