First Bank has denied any wrong on the issue relating to the Federal Government’s directive on the Treasury Single Account in respect of a Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation dollar account.
The bank said in a statement issued at the weekend by its Corporate Affairs Manager, Babatunde Lasaki, that the Central Bank of Nigeria was aware of the account with $3.7bn, adding that it had been reduced to $469.4m by August 29,2016.
It said the Brass/ Liquefied Natural Gas Account Number, 2011104669, domiciled with the First Bank, was blocked on a court order secured by the Special Investigation Panel headed by Ali Amodu, a retired Assistant Inspector-General of Police.
The bank noted that the SIP, in its report, said the account balance was not remitted to the CBN and subsequently blocked it. It also quizzed FBN and CBN officials over it. But FBN denied any wrongdoing, stating that the account was operated in line with regulatory requirements.
It said, “Our attention has been drawn to recent media publication on a purported indictment of First Bank in failing to disclose balances on a client account to Central Bank of Nigeria.
“For the avoidance of doubt, we state unequivocally that the allegation is false.
“It is pertinent also to state that the referenced NNPC dollar accounts were fully disclosed to the CBN and were operated in line with regulatory requirements.
“First Bank reiterates that the allegation is totally untrue as the bank remains a responsible corporate institution and adheres to all extant rules and regulations”.