The embattled founder of DAAR Communication PLC, High Chief Raymond Dokpesi may have to spend a night more at the Kuje prison where he is remanded pending when he will perfect his bail condition.
The Federal High Court sitting in Abuja had on Monday remanded Dokpesi in Kuje Prison pending when he will perfect his bail condition.
The court had earlier admitted the Dokpesi who is standing trial over alleged complicity in the arms deal fraud to bail but with an order that he be remanded in Kuje prison pending when he will perfect his bail condition.
As at the time of filing this report, source close to the court who prefers anonymity said that Dokpesi is yet to perfect his bail condition.
“They could not perfect the bail today, they have to go back and come tomorrow. But I can’t say whether they will be able to perfect everything tomorrow”, the source said.
Dokpesi had pleaded not guilty to the six count criminal charge prefered against him by the Federal Government over his complicity in the N2.1 billion arms deal fund.
Dokpesi’s counsel, Chief Mike Ozekhome had on Friday argued his bail application.
Delivering ruling yesterday, the trial judge, Justice Gabriel Kolawole admitted Dokpesi to bail in the sum of N200 million with two sureties in like sum.
The court added that one of the surety must a retired or serving director with the federal or state civil service and that such person if retired should produce a gazzete that he retired at that level. In the case of a serving director, the court held that such person must bring a letter of introduction from the Permanent Secretary.
The second surety according to the court must be an entrepreneur with three years tax clearance and must possess a landed property worth N200 million in Abuja.
The sureties are also to swear to an affidavit of means that in the event that Dokpesi escaped, the money will be forfeited outrightly.
The court ordered the EFCC to deposit the accused International Passport with the registry of the court and that any time there is need to travel out, Dokpesi must apply to the court giving cogent reasons.
The Deputy Court Registrar was however constituted into a committee to verify all deposits and ascertain their authenticity.
Justice Kolawole further ordered that no government agency should re-arrest Dokpesi, adding that any agency that wants him for interogation should invite him through his counsel and that his lawyer upon invitation should produce him between the hours of 8am and 6pm.
The court held that anything outside the order will constitute a violation of court order and corruption.
Justice Kolawole however noted that order was to prevent Government agency from violating court order and to allow the bail granted to have meaning.
The court further ordered that the accused be remanded in Kuje prison pending the perfection of the bail terms.
Earlier while arguing the bail application, Dokpesi’s counsel, Chief Mike Ozekhome SAN submitted that the offence with which the accused person is standing trial was ordinarily bail able by law because it was not a capital offense.
He argued that Dokpesi has not in any way contributed to any act of insurgency and that he would not jump bail when granted.
Ozekhome also submitted that his client was billed to travel abroad for medical checkup when a telephone call came in inviting him orally to come to EFCC and that without any hesitation, Dokpesi responded and honoured the invitation as a law abiding citizen.
Beside, Ozekhome also told the court that Dokpesi’s son was about to wed on 17 and 19 of this month and that as a father he has dispatched invitations to highly placed Nigerians and as such he would be around at all times to stand trial.
Similarly, the counsel also submitted that Section 36 of the 1999 constitution presumed his client innocent until the contrary has been proved by the prosecution.
However, opposing the bail application, prosecution counsel, Rotimi Jacobs SAN prayed the court to reject the application on the ground that the Federal government is investigating a fresh allegations of N8.4billion he collected for airing the FIFA U17 championship which Nigeria hosted in Jan 27,2012.
He further submitted that the airing right was giving to DAAR communication by FIFA and the Federal government was not a party to the contract he allegedly collected N8B from the Nigerian Government.
He argued that if bail is given, it will prejudice investigation of the allegation and urged the court to take a judicial look at the affidavit evidence of the Federal government which indicated that no contract paper was exchanged by Dokpesi and any agent of government when the N2.1B was paid to him.
On the health condition, Jacob argued that Dokpesi failed to disclose the nature of his illness adding that the letter of appointment with the physicians exhibited by Dokpesi was sent on December 5 when Dokpesi was already in the custody of the EFCC including the British airways ticket.
The prosecution counsel said that it would be dangerous to admit Dokpesi on bail because under the charged, he risked a jail term of 7years upon conviction and as such may decide to flee the country if allowed to go on bail.